Federal guidelines mandate that anyone applying for a commercial driver's license must pass the Department of Transportation health exam. The exam is also required for those driving a Taxi, for Uber or Lift, buses, or a larger vehicle and some trailer hauling. The purpose of this test is to check whether an applicant is physically capable of driving safely at the present time as well as in the foreseeable future. Passing the exam successfully means you have up to 24 months before you need to re-test, in some instances this period might be decreased if health issues are present.
To pass the physical for the CDL…
- Vision in both eyes as well as each eye individually needs to be 20/40. Glasses and/or contacts are permitted.
- Ability to distinguish color is necessary.
- Should be able to perceive a forced whisper at a distance of at least 5 feet. Use of a hearing aid is permitted.
- Your blood pressure must be lower than 140/90. Prescription medication may be used to control blood pressure.
- Cannot have diabetes that requires insulin injections; diabetes controlled through a diet or oral medication is permitted.
- Blood sugar may not be higher than 200 and HA1c must be 10 or less.
- Use of schedule 1 drugs is forbidden
This is a listing of the most commonly seen medical conditions. There are other conditions that can limit or disqualify a driver. Feel free to call our office if you have medical conditions that you are concerned about.
***What to bring to your DOT Physical***
- Valid driver’s license
- Glasses or contact lenses, if needed
- Hearing aids, if used
- CPAP Compliance Report, if applicable
- HA1C Lab Test, if being treated for Diabetes
- List of Medications
- Federal Vision or Diabetes Waiver, if appilicable
- Skills Performance Evaluation Certificate, if applicable
Dr. Paterson is a Certified Medical Examiner in the National Registry.
Give us a call today at 719-344-8469 to schedule your exam.
DOT/CDL Medical Exams are $85.
Note: We also perform DOT/Non-DOT Drug and Alcohol Testing services.
TeamCME provides resources to find and schedule your next CDL Physical online. We are the only CDL Physical network with online scheduling capabilities and the largest network of CDL Physical Providers.
DOT Certified Medical Examiner Colorado Springs, CO, DOT Medical Exams, National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners, FMCSA